Tuesday 8 December 2015

Top Reasons why Motherhood is not for Everybody


I have a close friend from my previous employer and I bet she is laughing her ass off now. I remembered that after a couple of months since we got married, we had this conversation about family life and kids. Without batting an eyelash, I replied that I plan to have kids a year after getting married. Her reply? She doesn’t plan to have kids at all. I was shocked. All of my close girlfriends plan to have kids; surely she wants to have her own kids. I asked her again and her reply was the same.

Fast forward to this day, I now have my active little toddler. My friend stayed true to her word about not having kids. Don’t get me wrong, I love my little boy. But my past experiences as a Mom opened my eyes why my friend would not want to have her own kids. She is my son’s godmother. While I can feel she loves my son dearly, I can feel she is giving me the that’s-why-I-don’t-want-kids statement.

  1. Her shopping bags contain items for herself. My shopping bag contains nappies and little person’s clothing.
  2. She can leisurely eat dinner and enjoy her wine. I eat my meals in 5-minutes and drink wine to feel good sometimes.
  3. She can read or watch mother-child themed movies and just shed a few tears. I need to bring a towel to wipe my snot off.
  4. Her “me time” means she goes for a whole day thinking about nothing else. My “me time” is going outside of our home trying to do activities for myself but constantly texting my husband/minder how my son is.
  5. She can yell at her husband for not tidying up the house. I can yell “ouch!” each time I tripped at my son’s little trucks.
  6. Her concept of vacation is a trip to a beautiful remote island, maybe the Maldives. My vacation is a trip to the groceries without a child screaming at me.
  7. She can have dinner at any restaurants she wants to try. I dine at restaurants where there is high chair and basically child-friendly.
  8. She can extend her time at bed during the weekends. I wake up when my son wakes up at 6 AM even on a Saturday or Sunday.
  9. She brings her nice leather handbag filled with makeup and accessories to go out. I bring a big bag filled with small toys, bibs, and other child-accessories.
  10. She can wear her stilettos anytime she wants to. I forgot how to wear heels already.

No comments:

Post a Comment