Wednesday 6 January 2016

Kidkraft Toy Castle with Tunnel: Not quite ready yet!

My son received a play castle for his first birthday from a close friend. I was actually really excited about the gift and believe my son would enjoy it as well. But just like any household, space is an issue. We are renting a two-bedroom apartment and unlike other units, we felt that we are living in a good-sized apartment. Until my son came along, space we thought is enough seems inadequate. My husband and I usually find ourselves contemplating which toy to keep and which toy to take off from the box so we can use. 

As our son hits his milestones, we are also trying to let him play with appropriate toys suitable for his age. He is also not somebody who has any “comfort” item or favorite toy so we try to limit the available toys he can play with. That way, we have less/manageable amount of toys scattered across our living area. Plus, he can enjoy his toys thru stages. 

We were quite happy with the setup and we knew a couple of toys are still inside their boxes. Until our friend who gifted the toy castle constantly ask us where the toy castle is. We are always trying to let her know that we really appreciate the gift but needed the space where to put it. But every time she comes over, she asks. So one weekend afternoon, we decided to unbox the castle. My son was over the moon when he first saw the castle. He was so excited with the new toy he bought his favorite (so far) truck inside. As expected, he treated the castle as if it was his “home”. We even took a couple of photos to show our friend that there it is! We are using it! 


Inside the castle!


The first few minutes were OK. But then, my son decided he likes the small flag on the top of the castle. My husband and I were a bit busy trying to keep a few things to make room for the castle when we saw our son knocked off the castle in his bid to reach the flag! It was very easy for him to do it since the material was very light and there were nothing to make the castle stay put. My son literally carried the castle across the living area, we did not like it! We felt that it might lead to unwanted accidents especially if he is with his nanny or if we need to take our eyes off him for a couple of minutes. It could lead him to get hurt or break a few items in our living room in split seconds! 

Because of the incident, my husband read the box and checked the suitable age for the castle. Of course, it should’ve been done before we took it out and we saw it was for bigger kids (3 years old and above). It then made us realize that those precautions were written there for a reason. So it was a good reminder for us to make sure to read those first, before giving in to peer pressure!

Overall, I like my friend's gift but I think we needed a few more months/years before we can take it out again. Better to be on the safe side! For those with little ones who are interested (and old enough!), here is the castle my friend gave to my son:


1 comment:

  1. If your house were bigger, it might make a good 'playroom display' or 'porchroom display' (one that your son could play in when he's 5 or 6).

    Wishful thinking, kinda like the 'buying an airplane-hangar because you're hoping to get an airplane one day.'

    ReplyDelete